Saturday, January 27, 2007

Guess Where I Went Last Night!

Okay, here's the scoop, I went to the guys' graduation ceremony yesterday. Took pictures of 'em and their families (and also their boy/girlfriends, fiances, spouses - my God I'm getting old). We went to a mall later on, celebrating their new status as the unemployed workforce. As for me, I had been in a really bad mood from the start of the day. Fortunately, Ms. B came to the rescue. She called me when I was eating a cleverly disguised beef bowl rice bowl (90% rice, 8% beef, 2% bowl). Here's how it went:

Me: Yes?
B : Where are you?
Me: At a mall with the guys, wassup?
B: Well... I got two free press passes for the Hoobastank Concert tonight.
Me: What? Like? This night?
B: Yeah, just got it from a co-worker from a sister magazine.
Me: What time will they be they playing?
B: 8-ish
Me: That's like... less than 3 hours. Count me in!
B: Okay, C U!

Next thing I know, after gloating to the guys (har har har, sorry guys, if she had more than 2 tickets, I'd be glad to share it with you) I rushed to her office, and hightailed it to Hooba. We arrived at 8.40, parked, hustled by the parking guy to pay 20.000 rupiahs up front (that's a little more than two bucks - extremly expensive for Jakarta standards, but if you don't pay up, you'll find scratch marks on your car when you get back, freakin assholes).

By then the band had already started their first song. So we rushed to the entrance, met several artists along the way, some of which B greeted like a friend (working in the media does have its priviledges). When we went inside, the place wasn't as crowded as we thought it would be (unlike the Linkin Park concert awhile back). We went to the edge of the crowd and enjoyed the first song that we heard that night. I also got to practice my photography skills with my dad's smaller semi pro Canon Powershot G7 (too bad I didn't bring my SLR, it's really hard to take pictures under poor lightings).











Before I went to the concert, some friends told me that Hoobastank was not that good in doing live performances. Well, they sure proved 'em wrong last night. The concert was great! Douglas Robb, the frontman and vocalist, was able to communicate well with the crowd. He also memorized some basic Indonesian like "bagus!" (good!) and "nyanyi sama-sama!" (let's sing together!). The crowd really loved him for it. Dan Astrin on the guitars kicked ass last night. And so was Chris Hesse on the drums. The crowd sang happy birthday for him. It's his 27th birthday, according to Doug (Yeah right, Doug...).

Can't wait for the next (free) concert! Har har har.

No comments: